Thursday, November 7, 2013

I think I made a mistake.


Today's post is probably going to be short and sweet. You see, I think I made a mistake. I signed up for NaNoWriMo. Yup, I did it. I signed up and... have written maybe 600 words. And it's the 7th. Already.

This was my first year signing up and I wanted to use it to mainly give myself motivation to really work on my half-way written work in progress. But, it seems life has decided to get in the way. Between work and kids, my word count has been pitiful. Add to that the fact that I'm pregnant and all I want to do is SLEEP right now, it's not looking good.

So I have no advice. In fact, I want to ask you all for some advice. How do you balance work and life with the intensity that is NaNoWriMo? When do you fit in the time? What helps you stay focused throughout the month? And, is this anyone else's first time trying it and realizing your time is being sucked away elsewhere? Are you sticking to your goals or, like me, falling behind?

Lastly, a happy NaNoWriMo to all you participating. Hopefully, I'll be able to find some time and play catch-up. Feel free to share your NaNoWriMo screen name and buddy up with some of us Tangled Girls who are participating. My screen name is Chrystal678, so feel free to buddy me and kick my butt into gear!

Is this a legit way to get my word count? :)



 photo 2e8a0d9f-452a-4697-9e3e-b0adf99fd5d2_zps3a7b1f71.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I'm participating too, and doing REALLY WELL... until my laptop crashed. 5,000 words just gone, because I'm an idiot and procrastinated backing it up on my flash drive. >:O

    But, it's still early in the month. Gotta remember that. And, also, that not getting there when you have valid reasons for it is perfectly fine. (Personally, I think the need for sleep IS a valid excuse. There's nothing better for creativity than a chance to dream. And, you know, to just rest your eyes for a little while.)

    Hope you manage to get (close) to 50k! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, Danielle! I'd cry if I lost that many words! Were you able to get them back at all...somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NaNoWriMo is a tool to push you to write. If it's not working for you, try something else. Even writing 300 words a day is progress. I only get to write during naptime and when my older son is in school (3x/week). It takes me longer than most to finish writing projects. Your NaNo could be 10K words for the month. Hang in there. Being pregnant makes everything harder too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not participating this month, though I really wanted to. But I did do Camp NaNo over the summer. I started out getting up with my husband at 4am to see him off to work and then getting cracking around 5, so I could write until the kiddos woke between 6:30 and 7. And then we had surprise visitors for almost a week and my husband was briefly unemployed, so that put a damper on everything. Writing while the kiddos were sleeping was the only way I was able to get anything done. Plus I had both my husband and my brother constantly nagging me (I say that lovingly) about my word count. I think, especially with having kiddos and such awesome excuses/reasons not to write, it's very important to have that nagging.

    ReplyDelete