Saturday, October 5, 2013

Who can choose only one?

Our topic for this month is a new one for me: One True Pairing or OTP. I turned to Google to help me paraphrase something that may or may nor make this a little clearer for everyone:

Based off what fans call "shipping" (coming from the word "relationship"), one true pairing refers to the fictional pair off of two characters. It can be across genres and links characters from all aspects of the fictional world (books, TV, movies etc.) Some OTPs are made clear in the original fiction, some are merely implied, and some are just wished by the fans.

Once I understood what OTP and shipping was I immediately thought of Rainbow Rowell's AH-mazing new book called "Fangirl". If you haven't heard of it, go to Amazon now and just buy it.

In "Fangirl" we get immersed in the point of view of Cath, a fanfic writer. The story is just perfect and definitely brought out my own inner fangirl. I started going back to when I was a preteen, obsessed with Sailor Moon (manga and anime, I'm bringing out my inner geek for you all) writing my own fanfics on pre-highspeed internet forums in the age of a/s/l questions and dial-up. This got me pairing my old favorites together again through books and onscreen.

And I began to wonder--why choose only one?

The reason OTP, shipping, fanfics, and all aspects of the fan world are all so wonderful and even able to function is because fiction allows us the space to use our imagination. The beauty of a good book or a TV show is that the characters are able to be shaped and molded, not just by the author's mind but by our own minds as well. That's a lot of power. We get emotionally and intellectually involved and from that bursts forth sub-worlds involving our favorite characters.

Here are some of my OTPs from books (manga too!) and film:

-Harry Potter and Hermione Granger from any HP book
-Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger from any HP book (I really love Hermione's character, ha)
-Buffy and Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
-Riza Hawkeye and Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist
-Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy from Pride and Prejudice
-Haruhi and Tamaki from Ouran High School Host Club

And there are soooo many more, but I want to hear yours! I encourage you all to think of some of your own pairings. Manipulate the world of your favorite books, shows, and movies. Use your imagination. And please share :)





 photo e8d67f1c-5ab9-4926-9f0c-ce51cda1783f_zpsb4748010.jpg

3 comments:

  1. My favorite OTPs are:
    Chuck and Blair
    Veronica and Logan (can't wait for the movie!)
    Elena and Stefan

    I have so many more, but am saving them for my post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who had to Google this! I would have to go with Ron and Hermione! I just love the two of them together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm learning new things here at Tangled. Cuz I had no clue either what OTP was!

    ReplyDelete