Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Summer Lovin' -- Having a Blast!


This summer has been a whirlwind of activity! I don't think I realized how much happened until I sat down to write this post!


My summer started off with a trip to NYC for BEA with Danielle. I had the opportunity to spend time with some of my favorite people in the world AND meet a number of awesome writers, bloggers, and publishing professionals. It was also our first event as Editors for Spencer Hill Press and we had a blast promoting our books and getting to meet some of our wonderful authors in person!


The party didn't end in NYC because Danielle moved to DC right after! Having her around has made this summer one of the best ever! We've had a crazy schedule and continue to work together on a variety of projects, but we've been able to do it in close proximity, and that has made the whole process that much more fun!


I also had the opportunity this summer to attend SCBWI-LA and spend a few days with my crazy-spectacular girls, Jenn Rush and McCormick Templeman! The conference was a fantastic experience, I had the opportunity to hear lectures by a number of legendary authors and editors and I came home feeling inspired and itching to try out new editing techniques and ideas. I also had the opportunity to see some old friends and make some new ones, it was like summer camp for writers! If you are looking to find inspiration and community, I cannot recommend SCBWI enough. Everyone was incredibly welcoming and supportive! (And also wicked smart and insightful -- I had a major writing-life breakthrough at the conference, but that's a story for another day. :)


In between all the traveling excitement I took a lovely, much-needed vacation with my hubby and kids, hung out with my wonderful friends (though not nearly enough!), beta read some INCREDIBLE books, and helped my little sister move into her new apartment and get ready to start NURSING SCHOOL (SO PROUD!).

On the work front, I've been working like CRAZY editing 2013 titles for Spencer Hill Press and acquiring titles for 2014. Between manuscripts, cover designs, marketing promotions, and working with our amazing authors it's been a non-stop ride, but I love it! It's an incredibly exciting time to be at SHP as our staff of awesome individuals grow and we adjust to our new roles. As the new Submissions Goddess I'm on a never-ending quest for the empty inbox... the Holy Grail for editors!


While I can't believe the summer is already winding down, I'm thrilled about all of the exiting things that are coming up this fall and next year! And I'm so excited to share them with you!


How was your summer? Where did you go? What did you do? And most importantly: What was the best book you read this summer?




1 comment:

  1. What a busy summer, Patricia it sounds like a blast. The highlight for me this summer was spending a week's cruise with hubby and kids.

    ReplyDelete