Tuesday, June 5, 2012

BEA jealousy and Waiting

So, is there anyone else besides me and, like, the four other people in my twitter feed that aren't at BEA? Seriously, I think 83% of my feed on there and with blogger has something to do with BEA. Not that I'm *jealous* or anything. Nope. Not at all...okay maybe a little. BEA should have been a week later. Don't they know my students don't get out until the end of this week, so I can't go?

Anyway, with so much (exciting) talk already going on about BEA this week, I thought I'd post about something different today. So, let's talk about Waiting.


Alright guys, I'm one of those people that when I'm going somewhere new or doing something that's new to me, I like to research at least a little bit about whatever it is so that I don't feel blindsided by something that could have been avoided. So when I started writing and really thought about doing it as more than a hobby--as something I'd want to do professionally one day--I started researching the whole business side and publishing industry. And I realized that if this was something I really wanted to do, then I'd have to learn how to wait.

You have to wait for so many things. Really, it starts with your own writing. Sometimes you have to step back from your story and wait to look at it with fresh eyes. Other times you have to wait for responses from your critique partners (you do have crit partners, right?! B/c they are invaluable. Seriously.) And then you also have to (should) wait once you're finished your draft to start revisions/editing.

But it doesn't stop there. Sometimes this whole business can see like one looong lesson in patience. Because once you have that perfect, shiny, polished-as-can-be manuscript and you've started querying, you still have to wait. And if you get requests to see more of your ms, guess what? More waiting. This one might be the hardest waiting experience I've had so far.


It doesn't even end there, I know that. I haven't had to deal with this yet, but you have to wait for agent/editor responses, edits & revisions, book covers, the actual book release date and so much more! And sometimes you can't even talk about that stuff for a while!

Whew, that's a lot of waiting. What do you do in that time? For me, when I'm waiting to start revisions/edits I'll catch up on my reading or social life. Other times,when I'm waiting for responses, I'll brainstorm or write new stuff.

Waiting is hard, but it's a part of this business that I want to be in. Heck, it's a part of life in general, right? But I really do believe that the things you have to work hard and strive to get, that you have to learn to be patient and wait for, end up being so much sweeter and more wonderful because of the time and effort you put into it. So when you're feeling bummed about the wait, remember why you're here doing this. Hopefully you're like me and it's because you love this and you can't stop writing--hard parts and all.What do you do when you have to wait? Any fun things you do or tips for surviving the wait?





No comments:

Post a Comment